I tried to update my maps after installing Navdesk after I installed Windows8.
After connecting and running Navdesk it would not backup the device
and my maps were locked.
Got onto the support phone, they emailed me instructions to reinstall my maps.
No success, on the phone again...
They told me to send it back registered ($10) for repair and or flash
Took Australian Post 7 days to deliver to Mitac in Sydney ( I live in Adelaide)... Should have been 5 days max.
Got device back after 3 more days (very good Au/Post)
Plugged in to computer, same thing happened.
Back on the phone...
Got through to a tech person and he tried for an hour by remote control over my computer to install the maps, no success.
He asked if I had another computer, which I had, but is was a slow P4 XP machine.
He said" "OK, we will try that".
So go to my little computer workshop (on a 40 degree day) and got everything set up there, remotely connected to the techs computer again.
He then installed everything on my device without a hitch
All in all it took about 2 hours to fix the problem after Windows8 screwed it up
So be careful when connecting to a Win 8 machine.
I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and then downloaded and saved my files and back up. It is accessible... no problems here.
Have also been able to update the GPS etc. Check your antivirus program and Windows Defender as these can stop updates, etc.