Downloading speed camera files - a step by step guide
Here is a step by step guide for downloading speed camera POI files to your GPS. I am using a Tom Tom One IQ series but hopefully the method will be similar for all Tom Tom units.
Downloading From the Web Site
1. Log In
2. Click on "Tom Tom POI updates" or "POI Files"
3. Scroll down the page until you see under "Tom Tom POI updates", "Speed Cameras" and click on it.
4. Under "GPS Points of Interest (POI)" click on Australia
5. A list of various speed camera POI will be shown. Click on a POI that you want to download.
6. The next screen will have a "Download POI file" button and a State or City filter. Select a Country Level or State and/or City then click on the download button.
7. The next screen will display a number of files to download for each type of GPS unit. Click on each file to download them.
Loading to your GPS
1. Connect your GPS to the computer and turn it on. It will probably auto connect to the Tom Tom web site. Close this site but leave your GPS unit connected to the computer. This will allow you to copy POI files directly to your GPS unit.
2. Right click the Start button on your computer and left click Explore to locate the downloaded files. They are usually located in the Downloads directory under My Documents.
3. Click the Downloads directory to view the files.
4. Select the files by holding the shift key down and clicking on the 1st and last files.
5. Whilst the files are selected, hold the Ctrl key and press the "C" key to copy the files.
6. Scroll down the list of Folders until you locate the Tom Tom drive, it will probably be Drive D, E or F.
7. In the Tom Tom Directory will be a File called United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Europe, etc. Click on that file to open it.
8. Hold down the Ctrl key and press the "V" key to paste the files to the Australia directory.
9. Turn off the GPS and disconnect it from the computer.
Activating Your New Poi Files On Your GPS
1. Turn on your GPS
2. Press "Change Properties", then press the "Show POI on Map" symbol. Check that the files that you downloaded are there and that a tick appears against each file to show that they are selected. If there is no tick, tap the file until a tick appears.
3. Press "Done"
4. Press "Change Preferences", right arrow to screen 2, tap " Manage POI's" and then tap "Warn when near POI".
5. Tap a file to select it. A new screen will appear.
6. On the next screen to appear, type in the distance for the warning to activate and Press "OK".
7. On the next screen to appear select a verbal warning or a sound effect and press "Done".
8. Depending on what you select a new screen will appear and you will be able to select various sound effects or a verbal warning. If you choose "Type in Your Own Warning" you can tailor your verbal warning to suit your need, I found this feature to be very good.
9. On the next screen tap the box if you want warnings only on route. Press "Done".