I received the following message from Garmin on July 7th:
Mandatory Software Update
Today, Garmin released a free, mandatory GPS software update to correct some software issues that cause select GPS devices to repeatedly power on and freeze at the Garmin logo. The product models affected are models in the nüvi 1100 series, nüvi 1200 series, nüvi 1300 series, and nüvi 1400 series. Not all individual devices in these series of models may experience this freezing condition.
You can download a free firmware update immediately that will prevent these software issues by using Garmin's WebUpdater program. This update will prevent the freezing problem caused by these software bugs but it will not correct the problem if your device has already experienced this problem.
If your device has already experienced problems, you will need to return your device to Garmin for repair. Please allow 10-14 days for the repair and return of your device.
We know our customers rely upon their Garmin GPS device(s), especially during the summer travel season, and we regret any inconvenience this situation may have caused. We are committed to developing products that are known for their quality and reliability and will continue to work diligently to earn the trust of our customers.
My problem is I didn't read the message until my nüvi 1490T froze up and started cycling the Garmin logo page over and over and won't start up so I have to send my unit in for repairs. My problem began on July 8th and had I checked my e-mail the day before I could have saved myself a big hassle!!!!!
I also received the email informing me of the mandatory update for the Garmin 1300. At the time my better-half had the unit as she was on a two-week road trip.
So, toward the end of July I finally got around to doing the update and it seemed everything was going along real nicely. But then all appeared to stop, no noticeable activity on my computer hard-drive, and no activity visible on the GPS.
After sitting and watching "nothing happen" for a couple minutes I really did begin to sweat. I thought - great everything was fine with this GPS until I applied the "fix".
The unit must have continued this "no apparent activity" for at least 15-20 minutes. Then all of a sudden the screen said something like: Update Successful, Please Restart GPS To Complete.
Wow! I was instantly relieved.
So, anyone that will attempt to do this update just let it do its thing. Don't think it is locked-up and stop the process. If it gets too lengthy, just go out and have a long dinner and give it time.
Had the same problem with the cycling - and the same result with webupdater. Has been replaced but still having sound issues when connecting to Blue-tooth, Sound either disappears or booms at a thousand decibals