I recently got my hands on Asus MyPal A636 device, that was supposedly not working, so after some tweaking, and resets got it to work as it should. It has WM5 on it and no chance of putting WM6 as an update. So, I've decided to test it by putting the Garmin Mobile XT (5.00.20w, it think this is the latest version for WM devices, from 2008) on it as a navigation solution, and so far it works great, but I noted some problems, and would be thankful if anyone would know the solutions/answers to some of them (I'm aware that this kind of navigation solution is a bit outdated).
- getting the POI files with related bmp icons, first thing I've noticed is that the POIs are doubled in the list. All locations are doubled, and categories (speed 100 kmh/speed 130 kmh ... ex.) doubled as well. I didnt get any problems while using the POI loader, so I'm not sure what's happening.
- to follow up this, the custom icon doesn't get displayed (the naming is ok, left it as it was on the web) for any category, only a black box... the map, the list, the point preview... everywhere... Tried maximum zoom in, no changes.
- I'm using the same navigation map (version as well) as my friend does on his Garmin Nuvi 1490T. He can see the speed limits from the map (not the POIs) above the current speed. I don't get the speed limits on my XT. I saw somewhere on the net that in Mobile XT, the speed limit is in the left middle section, as a white board. What's the difference in his Nuvi and my Mobile XT (the version should support speed limits) regarding displaying the speed limit for the current stretch of the road?
- sometimes, the option to force the backlight to stay on doesn't work, the display gets dimmed after some time. So the safest solution is to put the general backlight settings to the max (while on AC in my case). Any reason why the apps configuration would be overridden by the OS settings, I though it should've been vice versa.
Update on the problems, I've managed to solve 2 of them... Well, not actually solve them, but I maybe figured it out what caused the icons and double speed cam issue.
When using POI Loader to create a .gpi file, instead of directly putting the file to the device, I've selected a location on my PC for the file to be saved; and afterwards copied the .gpi file to my GPS device. Yep, it works after that... Icons load as well... Don't know why, but this "manual" method seems to work instead of directly placing the .gpi's via the loader. Hope this helps someone, if they find similar issues.
About the speed limit display, it is shown as a black or red box in the middle top of the Mobile XT...
You may try to create a dummy/test speed limit POI with very low speed (e.g. 10 kmh) and test it using "Simulate Route". Sey your latitude and longtitude near your location, and edit a dummy .csv file and .bmp icon...
You can use: http://garmin.gps-data-team.com/poi_manager.php (POI Manager for Garmin).