My Garmin 760 was replaced under warranty because the initial unit did not find satellites easily. At least that bit works although it now claims to be a Volvo unit - that's Garmin's database error I think.
I have a number of issues:
1) I find the screen navigation really poor. For example to change from North Up to 3d requires 11 screen touches- not to be recommended when you are driving although that's when you want it. Other operations are similarly complex and messily designed. Is there a way of customising the screen navigation? Is there an alternative system that can be loaded? Open source is the way to go of course.
2) I uploaded the AA POI file which cost money (about GBP25!) but for space reasons I had to remove the extra language files that I don't need. I also used the first free Garmin upload. Now the unit doesn't see any UK speed cameras. I have tried removing the AA files (which are pretty poor anyway) but I still get no warning. I posted a message on the Garmin support site to no avail - no response at all. I am not impressed by that. I only found this site today so I have my fingers crossed. Note that the unit did find a speed camera in Brussels when I was 36,000 feet above!
3) The unit will only charge its internal battery from a USB port - it doesn't appear to when using the in-car charger. Is this normal? It seems pretty silly to me. Since the USB connection disables the navigation part of the unit, I can't even plug it into my laptop when it is in the car and use the unit.
4) Is there any way to get traffic updates without the stupid wire attachment? I would have thought an internal aerial would be better but having another wire floating round on the dashboard is annoying.
5) I haven't tried any of the downloads on this site yet. Do you suggest I replace all the POI files with ones from the site?
1) When 3d navigating press anywhere on the screen this changes the view to north up (a lot quicker that 11 clicks)
2) Join and use the GPX files only make sure that if you use more than one file ie red light cam, school zone etc they must be in the one folder
3) It should charge with the car outlet -- check the fuse in the end of the plug and or the fuse in the car that runs the outlet plug. Maybe the plug into the cradle is not all the way in.
4) Yes it is mildly annoying I wind the wire around the power lead and attach it at the end with a bit of tape, and then I lay the power lead on the dash as much as possible.
5) Use the GPX files from this site. The Garmin ones are no good in my option.
If you are sure that the in-car charger isn't working, take it back as it does charge the unit. That what it is called "in-car charger"...
The aerial is required to receive traffic updates, won't work without it.
Also, would definitely recommend getting the POI updates from this site.