GPS POI Home POI FilesPOI ToolsPOI MapsGPS ForumSupport
GPS Data Team
ContactFAQSite map

Home > Forums > Garmin > Nuvi POI Files

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Garmin forum   Reply to topic Nuvi POI Files
 



cord

GPS: Garmin 760







Post Nuvi POI Files     
Reply with quote

Hi! New to all this... I have a 760 and I am downloading some POI's. Do I down load all three files BMP, CSV and GPX? Do I also download the GPX with the proximity alert if I want that facility?
View user's profile





Navig8

Guest






Post Re: Nuvi POI Files     
Reply with quote

See this: http://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/viewtopic.php?p=4955

Idea







cord

GPS: Garmin 760







Post Nuvi 760 POI's     
Reply with quote

Thanks
But more Questions
am loading with POI's for France and Spain with Roadsafety, Restaurants, Wi-Fi Hotspots etc. I have downloaded the BMP,GPX and where appropriate MP3 files. I then uploaded the mentioned POI's to my Garmin with POILOADER. After all that! were are the POI's? I did something similar with UK POI's and I can find them in the extras menu. I have also
saved the the French and Spanish files to the SD card in the Nuvi. Where am I going wrong?
View user's profile





roadrider01

GPS: Nuvi 760







Post Nuvi 760 POI's     
Reply with quote

I have discovered with my 760 that only one main file or folder can be loaded into the unit at one time. Inside that main folder you can have many other sub-folders with whatever info you want and named appropriately. When you load that main folder into your POI Loader all the others within it will be there inside your unit.

Also, I could not add to what was in the unit as any little file I tried to add overwrote all that was already in it. Therefore, I keep an up to date file in my computer and when I make some small change or addition I just resend the whole thing to my unit and it overwrites what is in there, updating it.

If anyone has different information, please post it as I have only learned the above through my own trial and error.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Visit poster's website





cord

GPS: Garmin 760







Post Nuvi POI Files     
Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I had gone the way you mentioned before receiving your reply. What file type are you "poiloading"? All four GPX, CSV, MP3, BMP or just GPX? What I eventually did, was to poiload each area separately in to the poi folder on the Garmin, renaming the GPI file before poiloading the next! There has to an easier way!
View user's profile





garethsawbridge

GPS: Nuvi 255w







Post Re: Nuvi 760 POI's     
Reply with quote

roadrider01 wrote:
I have discovered with my 760 that only one main file or folder can be loaded into the unit at one time. Inside that main folder you can have many other sub-folders with whatever info you want and named appropriately. When you load that main folder into your POI Loader all the others within it will be there inside your unit.

Also, I could not add to what was in the unit as any little file I tried to add overwrote all that was already in it. Therefore, I keep an up to date file in my computer and when I make some small change or addition I just resend the whole thing to my unit and it overwrites what is in there, updating it.

If anyone has different information, please post it as I have only learned the above through my own trial and error.

Hope this helps.



I agree...


I sent via POILoader many .gpx files over several 'sessions' to only see about 4 'POI' files (eg, Ikea, McDonalds, etc).


I then removed them all via the POILoader, downloaded the .bmp files to go with the atatchments (so there is one .gpx file and one matching .bmp file), had them all in the same folder, then used the 'Express route' of the POILoader.




Now I have all options/POI's showing in my 'Extras' folder.
View user's profile





robin

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 660







Post Re: Nuvi POI Files     
Reply with quote

cord wrote:
Hi! New to all this... I have a 760 and I am downloading some POI's. Do I down load all three files BMP, CSV and GPX? Do I also download the GPX with the proximity alert if I want that facility?


I have a 660 and went through the same process...just checked...I think it is the csv files that seem to be working
View user's profile





roadrider01

GPS: Nuvi 760







Post Re: Nuvi POI Files     
Reply with quote

cord wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I had gone the way you mentioned before receiving your reply. What file type are you "poiloading"? All four GPX, CSV, MP3, BMP or just GPX? What I eventually did, was to poiload each area separately in to the poi folder on the Garmin, renaming the GPI file before poiloading the next! There has to an easier way!


I use a combination of all the above files depending on what I want to be notified of when I'm driving. For example, it is very irritating to have every store, restaurant, etc. announced when you pass by but can be useful to have the traffic speed traps, cameras, etc. announced. So you may not want to load the mp3 files in some of the folders while you might want to for others. Csv files can be used in some folders and the GPX files can be used in others with or without the bmp or mp3 as you wish. Within the menu of your unit you can turn off the notification of all the POI's as you are driving but can still use the 'go to' function and be directed there by your GPS if you want to go somewhere in particular by searching within your previously loaded personal POI's.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Visit poster's website





j.m.quinn

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 660







Post POI help     
Reply with quote

^^^ THanks... makes a little sense to me... I have the Garmin 660, which deletes all old POI's if you try to put in a different folder up POI's... at least for me... So I'm currently redownloading them after one screw up... You only need gpx or csv btw
View user's profile





Guest








Post Only loaded three files - GPX, MP3, BMP     
Reply with quote

I had all four files loaded and found each POI (speed cam / alert ) was duplicated.

I deleted the CSV, just added the other three and duplication problem was solved.







Your Name

Guest






Post Your comments     
Reply with quote

Add your comment here:

 




Display posts from previous:   
Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Garmin forum Reply to topic Nuvi POI Files
Home > GPS Forum > Garmin > Discussion
> > >

Page 1 of 1




Jump to:  

 






Permalink: Nuvi POI Files | Garmin forum